Too often it seems that recruiters and hiring managers are obsessed about the number of jobs that their potential candidates have changed. It is almost alluding to a universal truth scripted by them that "The most precious talent in planet earth is the candidate who hasent changed any jobs" ...................
Are we then living in a world were the powers those are at corporates managing talent acqusition mandates carving the writing on the wall inscribing "Thou shall not dare to change your jobs..lest ...you do ....you shall be a sinner"
* Think about it ..the globalisation has spawned multiple businesses and many myraid sub set of econonies those that create abundant jobs which cannot be filled by university graduates.
* The same globalisation impact swings from Americas to Europe to the Asia Pacific world as downturn and boom time sway markets periodically. Did we know that with each downturn there are lay offs( forced attrition) and each boom time there are massive talent acqusition drives.
* Allmost all of us agreed that people dont leave companies , rather they leave managers !!!!
* And the human tendency to look for greener pastures ..( I mean more money,job satisfaaction, change in environment et al)
* and this is my bias ..More and more ..no more is a day that is going to dawn when employees will be seeking employers rather than employers waging a slugfest to attract the right talents..
( the employer is more desperate today to hire a talent and has a shortage of choices rather than the potential employee desperate to have A particular job and he has so many options!!!!)
* Did we also hear the latest corporate buzz word "Talent Engagement" along side "Talent Acqusition"..engaging the knowledge worker et al? Isnt it therefore a truth that the last company has lost the candidate rather than thinking that candidate has moved over???
* Of all that we hear about jobs from US being shifted to US to India or other offshore destinations . No one is yet aggressive complaining that India is facing a brain drain of the human capital. And the talents are employed to increase the productivity of the western world instead of their home land..
* and we could write many more seemingly objective point such as those cited above to create a compelling foundation of bias..particularly since i personally have changed half a dozen jobs..!!!
* and then the MONSTERS and their allys ( the breed of search and selection firms ) who are headhunting like there is no tommorow ..displacing stable candidates to other companies with the lure of big bucks and perks only to return to then later to repeat the excercise again ..are candidates going to complain about higher welfare...
Isnt it time for the recruiters and hiring managers to have a holistic view and tolerance to the job hops , skips and jumps rather than finding holes in the so very scarce talents available in the market. Isnt it time they only focussed on why they are talking or considerign the candidate in the first place ( talents, expereince , competitive info and other merits )
obviously ..no one is so motivated to just for the heck of it jump jobs..just for the kick of it..imaging sane men doing this ?
the fact that the talent gets repeatedly hired is a credible qulity in itself.and then the last hiring manager did hire him/her or the next hiring manager would hire him/her !!!!!
If the hardliners dont change then probably in times to come they will ONLY have a rich pool of university graduates to hire from ..as more than ever before they are bound to contend with caandidates who on a average would have changes atleast 5-6 jobs over a decade...else they staff their companies with robots and automate their staff with command and control
did i hear some one saying that the people who stay long periods in a company are not highflyers and mediocre performers whom the hiring managers dont want to touch ?????
INSTEAD CAN WE EXPECT THE HIRING MANAGERS AND RECRUITERS TO FOCUS THEIR 20 % EFFORT TO EVALUATE THE CANDIDATURE ON TRUE MERIT AND THE REST 80% ON RETAINING THE PRECIOUS TALENT......ELSE THEY MAY GO JOB HOPPING AGAIN!!!!!
think diffrently ...